This is a Step by Step Guide to Planning the Ultimate Luxury Weekend Staycation because you deserve it. A Staycation is the latest in travel trends, where you don’t leave your hometown. Instead, you get to discover what is outside of your own front door, to pamper yourself by trying and seeing different things without the stress of traveling far, or having to go to too much effort. This is where it is all about you and what you want and what you need. [clickToTweet tweet=”This is a 32 Step by Step Guide to Planning the Ultimate Luxury Weekend Staycation. #travel” quote=”This is a 32 Step by Step Guide to Planning the Ultimate Luxury Weekend Staycation.” theme=”style2″]
Why a staycation?
Well for a start you deserve it for being you because you work hard and you are a good person. Isn’t that reason enough? You deserve to have everything that is lovely in life, and sometimes you just have to organise it yourself, because you can.
- Get your computer
- Google search, The Top Luxury Hotels in your hometown.
- I have picked the date for you. One month from the day that you read this article, to the nearest weekend. No deviations, because if you don’t do it, you won’t.
- Ring the hotel. Do not book it online just this once.
- Explain to the hotel that you are having a staycation because you need to be pampered beyond anything imaginable and that you know that they will deliver the goods. Hotels are quick at picking up on special needs, and you will find that they will probably make it extra special for your staycation. Need some inspiration? Read about this luxury hotel in Jimbaran Bay, Bali
- Pay for it on the spot.
- Go to the fridge.
- Pour a very large wine, and realise that you have impulsively spent weeks wages.
- Pour another one and remember why you need a staycation before we continue.
- Pick up the phone and hit redial. Tell the hotel that you have decided that you would like a spa treatment to go with your staycation and book it. Make it for 4 pm.
- Go to your computer again and ring a housecleaning service in your town. Tell them to be at your place on the Friday before the luxury weekend staycation; and you want your house cleaned as it has never been cleaned before.
- Do another google search and find the latest and trending restaurant in your home town where you will have your staycation.
- Phone a friend or friends or even family and tell them what you have done and that you would like them to join you for breakfast/brunch /dinner at ‘the’ restaurant. Alternatively, don’t tell anyone and have the weekend totally to yourself.
- Ring the restaurant and book it for 12 pm.
- Stress out about your impulsiveness and then think about all of the work that you have ahead of you for the next month and hell, you deserve it.
- Start to think about the early morning swim you can have, the walk before breakfast at the hotel, the markets you can idly wander through.
- Start to research what it is your hometown has to offer.
- Start to get really surprised that your hometown is so interesting but you have been so busy that you didn’t know it was so cool.
- Start to bore your work colleagues, family and friends with all of the amazing things that are on offer in your town.
- Go shopping, you will need some new clothes for your staycation.
- Wednesday night. Start to pack your small suitcase.
- Thursday night. Unpack the new things that you went and bought today because nothing was right when you packed on the Wednesday night
- Go to fridge and pour a large glass of wine.
- Have another one because you did buy some beautiful things.
- Trash your room trying everything on.
- Go to the fridge ..you know the drill ..
- Overpack and look around at the fact that your house looks like a bomb hit it.
- REALLY IMPORTANT. DO NOT clean up for the house cleaning service. Are you listening? NO, DO NOT DO IT.
- Friday morning and the doorbell rings and it is the housecleaning service. Welcome them; pick up your bag and do not return until Sunday night.
- Leave the guilt at home.
- Explore your city or town with new eyes
- Understand that this staycation is relaxing, rejuvenating and a memorable experience that you will repeat this again and again.
See a staycation is easy if you follow this 32 Step by Step Guide to Planning the Ultimate Luxury Weekend Staycation.
If you need to enticed a little more, have a look at some of these amazing hotels who have pampered to all of our needs.
Join us on Pinterest
Would you indulge yourself with a staycation, because you know you deserve it?
It’s Your Turn, Link Up Your Newest Travel Inspiration!
1. Link one of your inspirational travel photos or stories to this post by adding your info. 2. Copy and paste our badge and a link to this page. 3. Visit some of the other wonderful travel bloggers, read their posts, and leave a comment. It would be great if you could comment on 2-3 posts. 4. Tweet it and include this hashtag. #wkendtravelinspiration . 5. Follow all the hosts of Weekend Travel Inspiration who are working hard to spread the word on what wonderful work travel bloggers are doing. [inlinkz_linkup id=533512 mode=1]
“Staycation”? I have to confess I’ve never heart the word before, but I like the idea. I think I need to go on a staycation vary soon and relax in a bubble bath with a glass of Champagne. How is that?
Anda you go girlfriend. You work hard, you deserve a staycation.
this is great! i really need a staycation, and it doesnt even need to be a luxurious one. 24 hours of peace and quiet and time to myself with no work, hubby, or kids would be rejuvenating!
Too true; send them away for their own staycation, get a house cleaner in, pour a bubble bath and relax.
Great guide! I keep thinking about planning a staycation here in Beijing for a while. Sometimes when you can’t escape the city, it’s good to book a hotel and see the city from a different perspective. I’ll remember to leave the guilt at home!
I think that is the hardest part, to leave the guilt at home. Good luck with that one.
Is it sad to admit that I’ve never done a staycation before? I absolutely love Seattle and we’ve stayed within an hour of here overnight a couple times, but I’ve never stayed in a hotel in Seattle and done the touristy things. But why not?!
Do it Laura. Spoil yourself and then share it with us all.
I’m laughing reading this. Step 27 would be the hardest for me. It’s a great idea to hire a cleaning service though, just to keep that vacay feeling going after you’ve arrived back home. I’m horrible about staycations. I even let an offer on a free Hard Rock Hotel room in my town expire because I never found the time. I’ll have to be better about it, perhaps as a little escape from the kiddos when the grandparents are in town.
Definitely spoil yourself. DO NOT clean the house. Walk out and do not look back. Get the very best cleaners and let them really let loose.
Such a fab guide to a staycation – I love number 7 especially 😀 And I love the tip re the house cleaning – had never thought of that beofre, though it’s brilliant! Seriously what a fantastic way to make sure you’re not coming home to instant stress!
No 7 is popular Getting the house cleaned is essential to complete the entire package.
I am a big fan of the bottle of wine step. That is my solution to I have done something a little stupid and want to stop stressing about it.
I like the idea of a staycation but have never done one. Sounds like fun. But I already have plans for your choosen weekend.
It is a cure all. Good luck with your chosen weekend.
Step 7 is my favorite 🙂
It is a popular choice. Sometimes you need a little bit of dutch courage to have a staycation.
I love the idea of a staycation. We often forget to enjoy the beauty that surrounds us without leaving home. “relaxing, rejuvenating and a memorable” obviously it works. 🙂
This is true, there is a lot to say for staycations
What a great idea. I love your step by steps and wish I saw it a month ago. Hubby and I just a weekend to ourselves, both girls were out on different adventures. We opted to stay home and have all day dates, but the luxury hotel and house cleaning would have been nice. 🙂
Sometimes we just owe it to ourselves.
Ha ha, love it! Great tip about booking someone to clean your house before you go, and of course the glass of wine and spa treatment are obligatory 😉
The house cleaning is mandatory, otherwise you come back to stress.
Haha – I love every step, particularly the one about not cleaning the house. We have actually done a couple of staycations. Sydney has some lovely hotels and without the cost of airfares it is surprising what luxury you can afford. I hope you have taken your own advice from time to time.
Lyn, Sydney is an amazing place for a staycation as no matter how many times we go there, and we go very often, there are always new and wonderful things to discovers and lots of places to have a luxury stay
I’ve never taken a staycation before but it sounds like a great idea. I also like the though of seeing your city with new eyes.
Definitely should do it. Seeing your own city as a tourist is really very enlightening.
I’m a big fan of staycations and exploring outside of your usual local scene. Taking it to the next level and doing something luxurious would have to be a special occasion. I save my travel dollars for exotic explorations.
I think that, depending upon where you live, that you can find the exotic locations are quite close.
Fun post! Written out you see it actually does take a lot of work to plan a weekend getaway! But it’s still worth it.
Sometimes the hunt is as good as the kill
I agree Paula, there is nothing like checking out what is beyond your own front door and exploring the city with new eyes. We often ‘sight see’ in our hometown and find we are amazed how little many locals know of the area they live.
This is so true; we have written about this before in Discovering your own backyard https://contentedtraveller.com/discovering-backyard/ and we also do this in our ongoing series, Outside my front Door where other travel writers share what there own place has to offer https://contentedtraveller.com/category/travel-stories-3/outside-my-front-door/